New Look 6968: Simple city dress

Wednesday 29 January 2014
After making a floaty light as air dress in white linen I've reverted to my usual style and made a close fitting sharp dress in a dark colour. I used New Look 6968 which is now officially my absolute go to pattern for a fitted sheath dress to make my latest dress for work. Actually I've just noticed on the Simplicity site that this pattern is now discontinued which I'm a little surprised about because it is such a classic style, but I'll be doing my best to keep it's memory alive!



I've made this dress in a rayon by Michael Kors that I bought from Tessuti Fabrics last November, which thanks to the stretch of the fabric and the fitting refinements I've made previously to this pattern means the fit of this dress is impeccable. Having a waistline seam makes it easier to fit the back over my swayback than a one piece sheath dress, and as you can see from this side photo there is no pooling of fabric in my lower back:



Because I've made this several times previously I don't need to make any more fitting changes so I can pretty much whip this up in a few hours straight from the pattern. Although this time I made View A which has 6 darts at the neckline, and pintucks across the sleeves which was a bit fiddly and added a bit of time to the process. I didn't think those details would be visible in this fabric, so I decided to sew them with the excess fabric on the right side to make them stand out as a feature:



There's not much more to say about this pattern really - invisible zip and a walking vent at the centre back seam, fully lined and a machine stitched hem because I was in rush to finish this Monday night so I could wear it to a big meeting at work on Tuesday! The stitching at the hem isn't too visible so I can live with it, even though I'd usually hand stitch it to make invisible.

I don't think this will be the last New Look 6968 you'll see around here! 

44 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress. I love the reversed darts...they make a real statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the subtlety of the reversed darts too. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, impeccable is right! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knock out! The pleats are a great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little extra features of this pattern. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely dress! You know I understand the value of a good tried and true pattern, and I'm so jealous of your warm weather right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I have not seen the pleated version made before so it is good to see this. I have this pattern I must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really have impeccable fit with this pattern! Great fabric too. I have had this pattern in my stash for ages and yet to make it up - just need the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, and that fabric looks even more fantastic close up. Great, great fit. I really love the feature outside pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this dress. I just checked (and bought it), the pattern is available on the uk website which delivers in aud too.. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous from head to toe, so to speak, and as you said the fit is impeccable. Just perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! It's a perfect fit and those darts make a lovely neckline and sleeve feature. You've really nailed this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really beautiful and fits PERFECTLY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe they discontinued this pattern, because it really is such a classic silhouette. The fabric you chose is so sophisticated - a great pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are one of my biggest sources of inspiration for the work wardrobe I'm dreaming of. All your clothes are beautiful, but you really know how to make classic but interesting work dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I adore this dress. The fabric, the tucks, everything! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a shame it is discontinued because it appears to be a nice pattern. I like the pleat detail and the high neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress looks perfect! I love that fabric! The pintuck feature on the sleeves is so well done, it's a lovely surprise that you discover close up and really brings the dress to another level. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty dress! Love the pintucks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see why you love this pattern so much - the fit is PERFECT! I also really like the inverted darts and will definitely be making one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect dress. Makes sense to make many more versions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect dress, love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristy - that dress is simply stunning. I love that fabric and you have used it very wisely letting it speak for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sheath dress is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks fabulous on you. The fit is perfect and that fabric is very sharp. I love the exposed darts and pin tucks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really do love New Look patterns and your dress is fabulous. Congrats! ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, stunning dress Kristy! Very clever to reverse the darts and you have perfected the fit "perfectly". Definitely a TNT.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh. Perfect pin tucks. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic dress and love how you have reversed the darts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a beautiful smart dress. I love the fit and the pin tucks. Perfect! What a pity it is discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great dress that fits perfectly. I also love the tucks on the outside - very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why go away from something, that works so well? You could just continue with this you favorite pattern and add different details to each one of them, to make them unique.
    This version of the dress is absolutely beautiful and stylish. You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The fit is flawless. I love the neckline and sleeve details and the fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  34. With such busy pattern I don't think it's a problem if you finished the hem with a machine stitching. Great fit and I love the darts at the neckline. *^v^*

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very Veronica Maine! I really like this version - I know you've made this pattern before.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a really lovely dress and you have made and fitted it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  37. As they say; It's all in the details! This one (pattern) seems to really have some great ones that's for sure. Very classic as you said, but really the darts make this one say wonderful. Nothing like a sheath dress to make a girl feel good too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous. Of course another well-made dress that you look wonderful in. You should start your own shop!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Perfect dress for work. Love the reversed darts and you have really perfected the fit of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The joy of a TNT and this is lovely. Fitted to perfection with very nice details. I can see why you love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The dress is gorgeous! And really well fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Adding the neck darts to the outside looks great, a very sharp dress for only a few hours work :) I always feel a bit sad when a favourite pattern gets OOP'd.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous dress! I really admire your sewing skills and pretty much everything you make!

    ReplyDelete