taking a new look at New Look

Thursday 14 July 2011
Thank you for all the lovely comments on the purple dress - I guess it's a winner in all your books just as much my own!  In answer to the questions/comments to the last post:

Lizzie - I sewed this dress using the sewing machine since I didn't do a muslin and wasn't brave enough for the finality of an overlocked seam.  I did overlock the seam edges, though that probably wasn't necessary since I don't think fabric will fray. Just habit I guess!

Katherine H and Dilly - I don't know anything about knit linings or how knit linings work I'm afraid, I've never actually sewn a knit garment with a lining (actually I sewn very few knit garments at all).  But I do have a RTW suit that is made from a stretch lycra/cotton blend, and it has a lining of knit (sort of like matte texture swimsuit fabric) and it seems to be sewn the same way as normal.  Anyone else have any tips on how to line a knit dress, or better question do you ever bother lining a knit dress?

Anonymous - the next time I wore this dress I did wear an old fashioned slip under it, and it worked fine.  And thanks for the tip on using whisperweft for the interfacing, I do have some stretchy interfacing I picked up from a garage sale one time, but it's quite stiff so I can see that whisperweft would be a much better weight.

And Trena (aka the Slapdash Sewist) - this whole post is dedicated to you! I've used New Look patterns in the past that have ended up as shapeless potato sacks, so I was pleasantly surprised how this one turned out.  I did completely ignore the pattern sizes though and instead went off the finished garment measurements and used nil ease since this was a knit fabric.

To test whether this was a one off miracle for New Look, I've just made another New Look pattern I picked up at the same time: New Look 6968

This pattern is quite similar to the last but with some different neckline options and I couldn't choose between, so I bought them both.  I made view C, the dress the model is wearing, but instead of using a leopard print I used this dusty pink graphic print stretch cotton sateen picked up from Spotlight some time last year:

The print reminds of one of those inkspot tests used by psychiatrists, but it looks pretty good made up into a dress:


And loh and behold, another nicely fitting dress with minimal fitting changes.  Again I made a size 8 on the top grading out to a size 12 on the bottom below the waist, instead of the size 8 bust, size 12 waist and size 14 hips the pattern sizing suggested.  I didn't do a swayback alteration either because I knew that with the waist seam and darts in the back I could get a close fit without one, and look how it turned out:


Hmmm, this dress may be competing with New Look 6000 in the favourite stakes! The collar on this is very interesting, there's basically this hole in the left side collar:


that the tie-end of the right side collar slides through:


up and over to look like this:



And the back of the collar looks like this:


Since it is winter around these parts and I've made yet another summery style dress, this is how I wore it work on Wednesday:


It still looks good hidden under a jacket, that neckline tie peeks out nicely and is like wearing the accessory you're wearing when you're not actually wearing any accessories!  I'm so hopeless at remembering to put necklaces on in the morning and Anna is good at fiddling with them until they break so I really like this tie detail.

So moral of this post: don't overlook New Look, there are some hidden gems amongst their offerings.  Plus they're (generally) really easy to make, which makes a nice change sometimes.

39 comments:

  1. That is really pretty and it fits you perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another winner! The fit looks perfect and I LOVE that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some of my favourite patterns have been from New Look. I think they have a slightly younger feel than the big 4 do. Yes, I've had some bad luck with them but I've had others that I have used over and over again so I always check the new ones out in case there is something I like.

    Great dress and great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two winners in a row! Love them both. And the fit is spot on. I am adding both of these patterns to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like New Look patterns too. That fabric is to die for... Spotlight never has anything like that when I go in..
    The dress looks amazing I love the tie detai.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty dress..great fit! I Love your fabic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic dress this is...and I love it with the black jacket. You should just make a bunch of both of these patterns with different necklines and fabrics because both of these patterns are winners...and what a wonderful wardrobe of dresses you would own!

    As for knit dresses, I line most of mine and I use a tricot lining purchased from fabric.com. I like to have something between me and the knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed your purple dress post somehow, so you'll get a two for one compliment with my comment! Both dresses look great - they're incredibly flattering on you. I'm drooling over that purple fabric & the Rorchach dress looks stunning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so cute! I have made this pattern, too. I like your version much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heart New Look. As one who grew up having to guess what size I was, and buy that single size pattern, the revolution of multi-size patterns in the late 1970s-early 80s was a-m-a-z-i-n-g. New Look offers a range of basics unavailable at the Big 4; and some interesting details that are far more affordable in New Look than in most Big 4 price ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That dress is perfection - the mix of pattern, fabric and fit is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that pattern too! Thank you for making it up for me. `-) I am pleased to hear this one fits, too. I will give New Look another try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! It is a bit Rorschach-y, in a fun way. I find New Looks to be very erratic with sizing, although generally the printed measurements on the pattern are helpful. It's interesting, since I think Simplicity, while still having some excess ease, is at least fairly consistent that way. new Look, even though they are often even the same style as their Simplicity cousins, are all over the map.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress fits you so beautifully! The fabric is a perfect choice. I can see your using this one as a TNT. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  15. fit is great on you. I love New Look patterns, have made so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! The fabric is interesting and adds a little spice to a simple style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have alway liked New Look patterns and they have the added advantage of being low priced in the states. You are acheiving fantiastic fit from this brand of patterns. Both dresses look fantastic. Love the ink blot fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love this fabric. I really love it! The dress is perfect and should fit me exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful and I love the collar. Thanks for answering my question regarding the overlocker too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a pretty dress. Your body is made for this pattern line. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would fight you for that dress. Like, throw down battle. It's AWESOME. That print is a-mazing. I think you are the person online whose style I most admire (want to copy). That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your fabric choice is fantastic! I have this pattern in queue but don't think I will find a fabric a nice as yours to do it justice...Dang! Anyhow, you did a fabulous job on the dress! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That dress looks very Cue-like (I love Cue dresses). Yours is better though because it fits you perfectly and I bet it only cost a fraction of the price.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You convinced me: I should have a new look at New Look. Your dress is adorable. I love the fit and the fabric is gorgeous. Wow, what a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super lovely! I saw that fabric and liked it but couldn't see me in pink.. but you? Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. BEAUTIFUL DRESS! How fabulous. Lovely style and I'm gobsmacked that you found that remarkably wondrous fabric at Spotlight - really Spotlight??? I had struck it off my fabric shopping haunts but think I need to go for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your version looks lovely. I really like the fabric you chose. It's funny because I am sure if I saw it in the shop I would have not chosen it, but seeing the finished dress I adore it.
    My version wasn't as great
    http://bombardone.com/sewingprincess/2011/01/mad-men-dress-finished/

    BTW...I read a post today about how stylish Kate Middleton is, etc. I am not into royals that much...and I believe your style is way better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I love this dress. what a great fit! It looks as though New Look patterns are a great cut for you

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, another fantastic dress. The print is so unique and the fit is dead on. I really like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I own this dress pattern too. I will have to make this up before the summer is out!! The collar is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm lov'in this material and the dress turned out so beautiful! Great job!
    O.k. now your going to think I'm bonkers... which maybe I am! LoL...
    After you planted that seed in my head about the ink-blot prints I have to tell you that in photo #6 I think it is.... the one where your explaining about the collar ... if you look at the bottom middle edge you will see an area that is a somewhat darker pink... then it goes to a little bit of a point... to the right and the left sides of that point, near the dark brown area.... honestly to me it looks like a couple of faces looking to the right and to the left sides of the photo... O.K. stop laughing... any time now! What can I say...
    this is just how I am! I can just imagine what a dr. would say!
    Great dress though... love, love, love the material! And it's perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice indeed!!! Really great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great dress, the fit and fabric are perfect. Spotlight does have rare gems you just have to be lucky that it is at eye level.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Best dress yet! Spotlight has some fabulous fabrics but it takes work to find them among the tacky, the cheap and the ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your fabric! Very new wave.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very nice this fabric. I like the pattern.

    ReplyDelete